You read that right, Disney+ is officially launching in Malaysia, with streams officially starting in the month of June. The announcement was made during the Disney Media Day launch, where the company has announced that the content streaming service will arrive in the form of Disney+ Hotstar.
So, when will Disney Hotstar+ be officially launching? According to Walt Disney Co., it will begin streaming from the 1st of June onwards. Viewers will now have a new way of experiencing the well-loved content from the company’s most iconic entertainment brands, including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic as well as a wide array of general entertainment series and films for young adult audiences, and homegrown and Asian hits — all in one place.
Underpinning its support for the local film community, Disney+ Hotstar has entered into a series of multi-year agreements with leading Malaysian studios such as Skop Productions, Revolution Media Films, Primeworks Studios, WAU Animation, Act 2 Pictures, Les’ Copaque Production, Red Films and more.
These multi-year agreements mean that Disney+ Hotstar will be the exclusive home to some of Malaysia’s most anticipated blockbusters, which will skip theatres and launch straight on the streaming service, such as J2: J Retribusi, the explosive action-packed sequel to the blockbuster J Revolusi, starring Zul Ariffin, Ashraf Sinclair and Amelia Henderson, Zombitopia starring Shaheizy Sam, Bront Palarae and Sharifah Amani, and Ada Hantu starring Hairul Azreen. Ejen Ali The Movie 2 will also stream exclusively on Disney+ Hotstar after its theatrical debut.
There will be a multitude of shows coming not just from Disney, but from local production houses as well. Viewers will have a selection of Malay, Hindi, Tamil, and even Chinese movies, but there didn’t seem to be any Korean content offerings shown during the livestream.
Select TV shows from TV3 and TV9 will be streamed up to 15 hours earlier on Disney+ than on their respective primetime TV.
From 1 June onwards, subscribers in Malaysia can enjoy:
- Marvel Super Heroes: Marvel Studios’ Original Series WandaVision (all episodes), The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (all episodes), Loki (starts streaming in June), Marvel Studios: Assembled and Marvel Studios: Legends, as well as blockbuster films including Avengers: Endgame, Avengers: Infinity War, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Deadpool and more. Also available are television series such as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., M.O.D.O.K., Runaways and Cloak and Dagger
- Disney Favourites, including Original Animation and Live Action Remakes such as The Lion King, Mulan, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, Frozen 1 and 2 and the Pirates of the Caribbean series
- Disney+ Originals: Exclusive titles only available on Disney+ Hotstar, such as The Mandalorian, The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers, folklore: the long pond studio sessions, The Right Stuff, High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, Big Shot, Flora & Ulysses, The One and Only Ivan, Muppets Now, Lady and the Tramp and Godmothered
- Top Malaysian hits: An exciting lineup of new releases and well-loved local content such as J2: J Retribusi, Zombitopia (starts streaming 2 July), Ada Hantu (starts streaming mid-Aug), Semanis Senyumanmu and Wifi Sebelah Rumah (starts streaming end-June). This is in addition to renowned Malaysian hits including: J Revolusi, Tombiruo, KL Special Force, Munafik, Istanbul Aku Datang!, Ejen Ali The Movie, Upin & Ipin: Keris Siamang Tunggal (starts streaming mid-June), The Rock movies (Rock, Rock Oo!, Rock Bro!, and Rock 4: Rockers Never Dai), Talentime, Mukhsin, The Kid From The Big Apple 2, Vedigundu Pasangge, Evolusi KL Drift 1 & 2, KL Gangster 1 & 2, Gol & Gincu 1 & 2, Guang, Redha and Roh
- All 12 Star Wars movies, including Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- Powerful storytelling from Pixar Animation Studios: Upcoming movie Disney & Pixar’s Luca will be released straight to Disney+ Hotstar on 18 June. Heartwarming and award-winning films like Soul, Toy Story 4, Coco, The Incredibles 2, Finding Dory, shorts such as 22 vs. Earth, Burrow, Bao and Pixar Popcorn as well as Inside Pixar, an inside look into the people, artistry and culture of Pixar Animation Studios
- Informational content from National Geographic: Explore the world with Secret of the Whales, Own the Room, Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted, Free Solo, The Right Stuff, The World According to Jeff Goldblum, Genius and Wicked Tuna
- Hours of compelling family-friendly entertainment: This includes the likes of hit series such as Ejen Ali, Alif & Sofia (starts streaming mid-July), Wizards of Warna Walk, Mickey and the Roadster Racers, over 10 seasons of Upin & Ipin for kids and families, and so much more
- General entertainment films and series: Nomadland, Grey’s Anatomy, 9-1-1, Criminal Minds, Home Alone franchise, The Walking Dead, 24, Aliens franchise, Avatar, Planet of the Apes franchise, Family Guy, Fresh off the Boat, Ford V Ferrari, Homeland, How I Met Your Mother, Jojo Rabbit, Modern Family, The Simpsons, The X-Files franchise, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and more
- Popular Chinese movies and series: The Silent Forest, Ip Man 4: The Finale, Agent Mr. Chan, Infernal Affairs, Line Walker 2, The Storm Riders, Number 1 (starts streaming mid-June), The Deer and the Cauldron, The Legend of Hao Lan, Nothing Gold Can Stay and Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace
- Exclusive never-seen-before Hindi and Tamil movies and series by Hotstar: Dil Bechara, Lootcase, Khuda Hafiz, Teddy (starts streaming mid-June), Big Bull (starts streaming end-June), 1232 KMS (starts streaming mid-July), The Legend of Hanuman (starts streaming mid-July), Live Telecast and Triples
- Tamil blockbusters and Star Vijay series: Vishwaroopam 1 and 2, Maari, Thuppakki, Nanban, Kaaka Muttai, Pandian Stores, Bharathi Kannamma, Raja Rani, Super Singer 8 and Naam Iruvar Namakku Iruvar
Pricing And Availability
As for the pricing, it will be priced at RM54.90 for three months, and there will also be a special package for Astro Movie Pack subscribers as well. The platform is available on both iOS and Android.
Each registered account can support two concurrent streams, and the majority of content is available for download on mobile and tablet. All content is commercial-free, with a dedicated kids section with age-appropriate content and a kid-friendly, easy-to-navigate user interface.
To learn more about Disney+ Hotstar, check out the official webpage here. Subscriptions have not started yet, and the website is still pretty bare. So we’ll have to wait a little bit longer for more details to be flourished.